Friday, 15 May 2015

#MeetTheBloggers - Beautiful Health




Yay, its another #MeetTheBloggers the second and final one for for this month. Today I'd like to introduce you to Jessica (Jess) Thompson of Beautiful Health
I hope you get to enjoy meeting if you haven't already Jess and getting to know her a little better! 



1) Why did you begin Blogging?


My mother is a nutritional therapist, acupuncturist and bio-resonance practitioner. She also owned a health food store in Longford town called Healthy Options. She ran this business for twenty years before closing down the retail side of things and opening up her own clinic where she practices her various therapies.
You may wonder what that has to do with me, so let me explain.
I always spent a lot of time in that shop. As a child, I’d be there after my swimming lessons or piano lessons and I’d be absolutely bored out of my mind waiting to go home.As a teenager, I was roped in to doing some part time work, and by the time I went to college I had so much knowledge of health and well being. My friends would tell me that they felt sick and I’d immediately be able to tell them what natural products to take to cure them.

I’m a journalist by profession for the past few years now, and I really wanted somewhere that I could write about what I love. Don’t get me wrong, I write about a lot of amazing stuff for work and I love talking to people and sharing their stories. But my blog allows me to write about the topics of health that interest me.
In the past year or so I also started to use natural skincare products and natural makeup, and the idea of natural beauty was so brilliant to me that I decided my blog would revolve around those two topics – beauty and health; healthy beauty; Beautiful Health.


2. Describe your blog style in five words


Friendly, useful, well researched and interesting.


3. Have you any other blogs?


Yes, actually, but they have fallen to the wayside since I started Beautiful Health. I have a photography blog, and another blog on which I post all of my journalistic work. I’m working on a new website/blog, which will be like a portfolio of my work. Perhaps even now, as you’re reading this, that site is live. If so, you’ll find it at Jessica.ie.
I’m also the owner of a website called TheDailyShift.ie, which is a website where aspiring journalists can post articles and blog posts as a way to practice their writing skills.


4.  What makes you follow / read other Blogs?


I’m a member of ITWBN (Into the West Blogger Network). I've gone to all the meetings since the very first one, and I've loved meeting new bloggers. Meeting new people and exchanging business cards and blog links will make me want to check out a blog.
If I do check out the blog and enjoy one post, I’ll read another, and another, and I’ll keep coming back for more. If a blog makes me scroll endlessly for ages, I will follow it.
I also love photographs. They say a picture speaks a thousand words, and I’m one of those people who loves to look at photographs – maybe even more than I love reading the words!





5. What would prevent you from following / reading another Blog?


Posts that aren't well-written or well-researched. Or if they’re boring. If you get bored writing the blog post, chances are your readers will be bored looking at it.
I also don’t like looking at blogs that aren't nice to look at. I love a nice blog theme and a pretty layout.


6.  Who would be your top three Blog recommendations?


Oh wow, there are so many! To name three will be difficult…

I adore Chirps From a Little Red Hen, because I love this #MeetTheBloggers idea she’s doing. It’s such an amazing way to discover new blogs. I love the layout and I always loved the book The Little Red Hen as a child – that’s what drew my attention to this blog.

My friend Emily set up a website called Intrigue.ie, which is a website “for women with something to say”. It’s fantastic and full of great content written by several different female writers and can be about anything

As for a third… I love photography blogs – good photography blogs. I couldn't possibly name just one, because it would be too difficult to choose.


7. What advice would you give to new bloggers?


WordPress is amazing for blogging. I've tried Blogspot and I've tried WordPress and I've found the latter to be the best, though in recent years I've seen some amazing Blogspot sites.


Find your niche. What are you interested in? Don’t think about what your friends would like to read, because if you’re not passionate about it, there’s no way you’ll stick to it.


Follow other people and comment on other people’s posts. They might just follow back and check out your blog.


Learn about SEO and always include keywords and a really good title. Photos are great too.


Share on social media but don’t spam people.


8. A fun thing your readers don’t know about you?


I wrote a novel when I was 11. I found it a couple of years ago, scribbled in a number of notebooks and I started rewriting it. The idea was excellent, but the writing style of an 11-year-old Jess just isn't as good as the writing style of a 25-year-old Jess!





I'd like to say a big thank you again to Jess for taking part in #MeetTheBloggers. You can follow Jess's blog Beautiful Health on the links below!